Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Purpose


This blog is for those people out there who sort of like me. I'm going to try to write a little bit daily. I say this knowing already that this probably won't happen. Washington DC is a great city but it's strange to be so disconnected from everyone I know. I think it was okay for a while there because it sort of felt like a vacation or something but now that I'm working and looking for places to stay, it's starting to sink in a little bit more that there is no point where I'm "going home". It has been weird experiencing a real winter. Starting out I was wearing two layers of pants everywhere because I couldn't tolerate even 40 degree weather. Now I routinely go outside in 30 degree weather with just a hooded sweatshirt. I guess that's the blood starting to thicken. It snowed a few days ago and then rained, turning the snow into sheets of ice on the ground. The sidewalks are treacherous where it is usually shady as there is a thick, slick layer of ice remaining. They cancelled school for two days in some places. I guess DCers aren't used to the snow either. Work was pretty  insane today. Since it's the day before the Superbowl, the aisles were packed with people trying to buy their avocados, sliced meats, chips and salsas for the big game, I sort of hate that I'm a blue-collared worker again. I guess I feel like I am above it but with this economy I suppose I should be thankful that I have employment at all. Wish me luck, hopefully I will get a better job soon. I miss you all. The photo I posted is some George Washington Masonic something or other. I see this often when I go into Old Town in Alexandria. It gives me the creeps. I hear that I should take a tour as it's even more disconcerting inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment